Saturday, January 30, 2010

Goodbye to January ...

Around Town by Dick Patten
Happy Groundhog Day, hoping that spring is just around the corner, but in some ways, it hasn't been a bad winter. I can remember as a child, winters were very cold and a lot of snow. I can remember my father having to bring the car battery inside and put beside our stove to keep it warm. He would get up during the night and start the cars because we didn't have a garage. I think the winters were tougher back in the 1950s and 1960s.

What's happening this week Around Town?
Pineconia Grange had to postpone their meeting last Monday until next Monday, Feb. 1, at 7 p.m. inside the Activities Room at Havenwood. Members, please note the change in location. Dick Patten finished delivering new directionaries to 3rd grade students in the Concord School District, Dunbarton Elementary School, St. John's Regional School, and Concord Christian Academy. This was the first year in which dictionaries were given to 3rd grade students at St. John's Regional School and Concord Christian Academy. This was also the 7th year in which we have done this project. I hope next year to include 3rd grade students at Trinity Christian and Shaker Road School.

As Ward 8 councilor, I spoke to Anita Hickey about the Dog Park, located on Old Turnpike Road (or as many of remember it as the Dump Road). I also spoke to Tom Aspell and Phil Bilodeau from General Services. Phil and I are suppose to meet at the location and visit the concerns she mentioned about. I also suggested to her about possibly partnering with Pineconia Grange or the Kiwanis Club of Concord who are located on the Heights about helping. There are several organizations whom she might speak with about partnering with.

Speaking of the Kiwanis, they will be meeting Monday at 12:10 p.m. at The Red Blazer Restaurant, Manchester Street.

I would like my deepest sympathies to the family of the late Vernon Mitchell, who resided on Airport Road, next to Eagle's Bluff. Vern served one term in the House of Representatives from Ward 8, active member in the Vietnam Vets organization. and loved to decorate his home for Halloween and Christmas. I was very surprised to see how quick he left us. I spoke to him and his wife who were with some friends at Veano's recently.

It has been nice to see the old crowd back at Veano's and now there are rumors that the Cat n' Fiddle family are coming back at a new location on South Main Street in the Draft building. I wonder if they will have famous salad bar again?

Don't forget to order your Girl Scout Cookies. Although they will be outside of Walmart this spring when they arrive, it's nice to place your order now.

No comments: