Sunday, May 23, 2010

Clarifying a point

Around Town with Dick Patten

I wanted to clear up something that was mentioned this week at a City Council meeting.
I asked to speak on a matter regarding the voting times for elections. I have been asked by several citizens if the hours were going to stay the same. I was informed that the council voted on this last October and that I was at that meeting and voted for it.
I asked the city clerk to pull those minutes and I was NOT at this meeting. My wife and I were at a computer board meeting of which she is a board member at Wentworth by the Sea for a couple of days. I, then left for Michigan, for my annual football trip. I should have read the minutes but only skimmed them over. So I wanted to correct the statement, I was not in attendance.

Again, funds are needed for the annual Fourth of July Celebration at Memorial Field. It was quoted as saying a donation had been received, however funds are needed. Please contact David Gill, at the Concord Recreation Department.

The Concord Veterans Council is looking for participants to be in this year's Memorial Day parade to be held Monday, May 31 at 9 a.m. The units will form at 8:30 a.m. in the Capitol Shopping Center in the area of Burlington Coat Factory. The parade route is the same as past years. The units will march up Pleasant Street Extension to North Main Street turning onto North Main Street proceeding north. The units will then march the length of North Main Street to Boutin Street. The parade units will pause at Old North Cemetery on North State Street for brief ceremonies. The units will proceed south on North State Street to Capitol Street when the units will proceed onto the State House Plaza. The Concord Veterans Council is coordinating the Memorial Day events. They are looking for bands, floats, marching units including boy scouts, girl scouts, cub scouts, and brownies to march. All veterans of wars or conflicts are cordially invited to march in the parade. In case of inclement weather, the event will be held inside the State House Hall of Flags.

I would like to thank Jim Cusano for helping me to do a adopt -a-spot cleanup at the intersection of Airport Road and Loudon Road. The two of spent three hours raking and cleaning up countless cigarette butts, empty cans, milk carton, and more. I would like to thank Rockys Ace Hardware for donating 6 and one half bags of mulch, Osborne's Agway on Sheep Davis Road for giving us 10 percent in purchasing flowering bushes, and Leon Dupuis who came over and offered to help. We appreciated it very much. Pineconia Grange #322 assisted by Boy Scout Troop 90 and Cub Scout Pack 90 are coordinating the cleanup. They also will be planting flowers in the near the giant spruce tree. A second cleanup will be scheduled within two weeks to finish the project.

I would like to thank Walgreen's Pharmacy (Jim Marston, manager), Makris Lobster and Steak House (Greg Makris, owner), and Foxfire Management (Steve Duprey) for their generous donations to help purchase banners for the summer season along Loudon Road. I had hoped to purchase banners for Manchester Street near the bridge and Old Turnpike Road. The cost for these banners are from $65 to $96 dollars depending on the style and colors. This has been a project of Pineconia Grange and myself as councilor for WArd 8. I also have coordinating the holiday banners during Christmas/Hannakuah. The Grange has been providing lights for the giant spruce tree along with State House Plaza and Eagle Square, along with coordinating the activities for the Christmas Tree Lighting. Please contact Dick Patten at 496-2917 for information.
I also would like thank those who donated funds in memory of a loved one. I had three people who did this and much appreciated.

I would like to offer my condolences to the family of the late Daryl (Skip Houle) who passed away recently. I am going to miss Skip terribly as he gave me anonymous donation for the Christmas Tree Lighting for several years to help with the fireworks. It meant so much to him. I am going to dedicate this year's event to him.

The next budget sessions are this week, Monday and Thursday. Monday, we will be discussing the police and fire budgets. The public is invited to at tend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Patten,
Thank you for serving on the City Council. The Ward is well served because of your interest large and small. It seems like the issue on this supject is a Time conflict with many meetings public and private. The good news is that you had the minutes from the meeting that you missed that expanded the voting hours. Im sure you will agree that you should pay more attention to them rather than just "skimming". Please keep the good work from the Heights.